The Concept_One was born of the idea that an electric powertrain can make a sportscar not only faster but also more adjustable, agile and fun. Rimac Automobili was founded to push the limits of technology and electric powertrains - the Concept_One combines all the know-how, technology and experience that the company has created since its founding.
The Concept_One is powered by four extremely powerful permanent magnet electric motors, one for each wheel, located in the centre of both axles. The architecture is radically different compared to traditional combustion engines so a completely new vehicle platform had to be developed to use all the advantages that such a layout brings. In order to reduce weight and make it possible to package such a powerful powertrain system into the chassis, all powertrain systems were developed alongside within the same team to enable a high degree of integration between the components. The result is a perfect weight distribution and extremely low centre of gravity.
Distributing a total of 800 kW / 1088 HP and 1600 Nm of torque, the Rimac All Wheel Torque Vectoring (R-AWTV) system precisely calculates the optimum torque for each wheel. R-AWTV uses inputs from several precise sensors strategically positioned around the chassis and suspension to calculate the optimal torque distribution between the wheels through complex mathematical models and control algorithms. The system provides unseen flexibility and grip by controlling each motor individually one hundred times per second. This enables the Concept_One to accelerate from standstill to 100 km/h in just 2,6 seconds and, to 200 km/h in 6,2 and to 300 km/h in mind-blowing 14,2 seconds.
The R-AWTV functions as a traction control, stability control and “electric ABS” system that also commands the 4-wheel regenerative braking of up to 400 kW that works together with the carbon-ceramic braking system.
Handmade technology of the future
In the five years of development, the Concept_One went through numerous iterations and development phases to fulfil the highest criteria of performance and quality.
In the words of the founder and CEO of Rimac Automobili, Mate Rimac: “My goal was to not to create an electric version of existing supercars. I wanted to create technology to make the supercar considerably better in every regard – faster, more fun and more efficient. I wanted to make the supercar of the 21st century. The Concept_One showcases performances which were not considered possible for electric cars a few years ago. To reach that level of performance, we first had to develop the technology and then the car. The Concept_One has gone through four iterations from a concept to the production car. In every iteration, we have redesigned almost all systems from scratch in order to achieve the level of performance and quality that we have set for ourselves in the beginning. I am also extremely proud of our vertical integration – the Concept_One is a true Rimac Automobili product – down to the smallest details.”
Electric vehicle batteries are usually challenged by capacity requirements. While it is challenging to develop a battery system that holds sufficient energy for an acceptable range, Rimac Automobili has faced an additional challenge: delivering one megawatt of power.
The Concept_One’s battery pack is designed to deliver 1000 kW or 1MW of power during acceleration and to absorb 400 kW during braking. A unique liquid thermal management and low-resistance conducting system had to be developed in order to master this challenge. The result is a highly advanced high-performance battery pack that is designed for demanding track- use, high power delivery and safety.
Each of the 8450 battery cells is individually controlled through the in-house developed Rimac Battery Management System, which ensures optimal conditions for a long battery life and long-term performance.
Four motors, four gearboxes
Despite having full torque from zero RPM, electric motors still need a transmission to meet maximum efficiency and performance. Most electric vehicles use a single-speed transmission that forces their designers to compromise between acceleration and top-speed.
Rimac Automobili is all about innovation and pushing the limits – not about compromises. We wanted to achieve lightning-fast acceleration, and a top speed worthy of a true supercar. In order to meet those targets, we had to come up with a unique solution.
Each of the four Concept_One’s motors is coupled to a proprietary gearbox system. While the front motors feature single-speed gearboxes, the rear motors carry something truly unique – a two-speed double-clutch gearbox on each side. A proprietary carbon fibre double clutch system with Formula 1 clutch-disks enables either extremely fast or smooth and comfortable shifts that are supported by synchronising motor speed for interruption-free shifting. While the dual-speed transmission unlocks new performance levels at any speed, the Concept_One can be driven in one gear all the time as it has enough torque to outperform almost any sportscar even if driven in one gear only.
The Concept_One will be produced in the total of eight units.
- Maximum power: 1088 KS (800 kW)
- Maximum torque: 1600 Nm from 0 to 6500 rpm
- Top speed: 355 km/h
- Acceleration: 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) 2,6 seconds; 0-200 km/h 6,2 seconds, 0-300 km/h 14,2 km/h
- Braking distance: 31.5m (100-0 km/h)
- Lateral g-force: 1.4 g
- Charging: 22 kW on-board charger, DC-Combo fast charger (up to 120kW)
- Power to weight: 588 H/pT
- Weight: 1850 kg
- Length: 4187 mm
- Width: 1842 mm
- Height: 1070 mm
- Front tires: Pirelli P Zero 245/35 R20
- Rear tires: Pirelli P Zero 295/30R 20
- Weight distribution: 42% front, 58% rear
- Voltage: 650V nominal
- Capacity: 82 kWh
- Rimac Automobili Battery and Thermal Management Systems
- Cro-Mo space-frame with aluminium and carbon fibre semi-stressed members
- Front and rear suspension: Double wishbones, fully adjustable, pushrod operated
- Hydraulically adjustable ride height
- Front: Rimac Automobili D-PM-OC-500 – high speed dual permanent magnet oil cooled motors, 500 kW peak, 12.000 RPM, up to 97% efficiency.
- 2 single speed gearboxes
- Rear: Rimac Automobili D-PM-OC-600 – high speed dual permanent magnet oil cooled motors, 600 kW peak, 12.000 RPM, up
- to 97% efficiency. Two double clutch two-speed gearboxes.
- Rotor and stator oil cooling
- Milled aluminium housings
- Electro-hydraulic servo system
- Front brakes: Ventilated ceramic discs Ø 390 mm, 36 mm wide. 6-piston callipers, power-assisted.
- Rear brakes: Ventilated ceramic discs Ø 380 mm, 34 mm wide. 4-piston callipers, power-assisted.
- Up to 400 kW of regen-braking (adjustable)
- Torque Vectoring with stability function
- Safety disconnect systems in case of a crash
- Multiple ECU architecture for monitoring of safety-relevant electronic systems